Is the seal harvest humane?
- The standard 3 step method for harvesting seals was developed in accordance with recommendations from the Independent Veterinarians Working Group (composed of members from Canada, France, United States, United Kingdom and elsewhere.)
- The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) in 2014 announced that Humane Harvesting training would be mandatory for all holders of a commercial seal license.
- It is against the law to harvest a whitecoat (seal pup). No seal will be hunted in whelping or breeding patches.
- For more on this, check out the Seals and Sealing Networks website https://sealsandsealing.net/the-harvest/regulations/
Is the seal harvest sustainable?
- Not only is the harvest sustainable, it is necessary.
- The population of Harp Seals currently sits around 7.5 Million in the Northwest Atlantic.
- The Harp seal is currently listed as a “species of least concern” by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
- The Harp seal eats up to 20 times its own body weight. Seal predation threatens other marine species i.e. capelin, mackerel, cod, wild Atlantic salmon, and others. Science predicts that Southern Gulf cod will be extinct in 30 years due primarily to seal predation.
Are seals endangered?
- WASPU Seal Oil comes from the Harp seal and the stock currently sits at about 7.5 million seals, six times the population size recorded in the 1970’s.
- The IUCN lists the Harp seal as a “species of least concern” and is currently trending upward in population size.
- Check here for more information: https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/41671/45231087
Who can take Omega-3 supplements?
- Omega-3 supplements are shown to have a positive effect on numerous health conditions for people of all ages.
- For a list of benefits click here: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/17-health-benefits-of-omega-3
What is DPA?
- Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA) is a Super Omega-3. DPA absorbs 22% better than EPA and DHA which means you get even more Anti-inflammatory, anti aging, and heart health-boosting benefits.
What about the rest of the animal?
- Seal oil is rendered from the blubber of seal. Currently we are not selling furs or meat but if you have interest please contact us and we can put you in touch with the right people. We want to see 100% of the animal being used.